2012年10月27日 星期六

Your 8 hourly digest for Blogs - All topics

Blogs - All topics
Mayo Clinic experts blog about various health topics. // via fulltextrssfeed.com
Labor stories: Trick or treat?
Oct 26th 2012, 05:00

  • image.alt
  • With Mayo Clinic certified nurse-midwife

    Mary M. Murry, R.N., C.N.M.

    read biography

Free

E-newsletter

Subscribe to Housecall

Our weekly general interest
e-newsletter keeps you up to date on a wide variety of health topics.

Sign up now
  • Pregnancy and you blog

  • Oct. 26, 2012

    Labor stories: Trick or treat?

    By Mary M. Murry, R.N., C.N.M.

Do you love a good labor story?

It was Halloween morning, about 5 a.m., and I was waiting in my office for a patient who thought she might be in labor. As I waited, I thought about what I needed to get done that day and where we would take the kids for trick or treating that night — all the while wishing that my patient would show up because I was getting a little spooked.

At the time, our practice was in the old jail house. The building happened to house a room known as the hanging room. You can guess what took place there in days gone by. We were also graced by a backyard cemetery. What a spooky place to be in the dark, alone, on Halloween.

When I finally heard a car pull up, I was eager to see my patient at the door. When she didn't appear, I went outside to see if there was a problem. I found Marcy squatting by the door. I helped her up and we slowly made our way into the building. When I noticed a few spots of blood on her slippers, I knew an adventure was about to begin.

Sure enough, Marcy was completely dilated and ready to have the baby. The urge to push was strong and there was no waiting for the local ambulance service.

I quickly found our emergency delivery kit and called my partner to assist. She arrived quickly and so did the baby! I suggested the name "Jack" in honor of all the grinning pumpkins in town.

After turning an exam room into a birthing room and experiencing a beautiful baby's first breaths, I stopped worrying about the hanging room and the cemetery. I felt blessed and lucky to have been part of the best trick or treat ever.

blog index

Halloween: Tips for treats if you have diabetes
Oct 26th 2012, 05:00

  • image.alt
  • With Mayo Clinic diabetes educators

    Nancy Klobassa Davidson, R.N., and Peggy Moreland, R.N.

    read biography

Free

E-newsletter

Subscribe to Housecall

Our weekly general interest
e-newsletter keeps you up to date on a wide variety of health topics.

Sign up now
  • Living with diabetes blog

  • Oct. 26, 2012

    Halloween: Tips for treats if you have diabetes

    By Nancy Klobassa Davidson, R.N., and Peggy Moreland, R.N.

Controlling Your Diabetes

Subscribe to our Controlling Your Diabetes e-newsletter to stay up to date on diabetes topics.

Sign up now

Halloween is celebrated by wearing costumes, going trick-or-treating, carving pumpkins, visiting haunted houses and attending parties. It's also one of the biggest days of candy consumption in the United States. For many children, Halloween is all about "hauling in the sweets." Americans purchase 600 million pounds of candy a year for Halloween and eat 1.2 pounds (0.5 kilograms) on the actual date.

I didn't remember how much candy means to children until I was recently reminded by my 8-year-old granddaughter. She mentioned that she was looking forward to the high school homecoming parade which goes by her house. She doesn't know anyone attending the high school, so I asked her why she wanted to see the parade — for the candy thrown out on the parade route, of course!

I don't think we can take candy out of the Halloween celebration equation. But as parents, grandparents, and health-conscious individuals, we may be able to provide some moderation and healthier alternatives.

I remember trying to use some psychology with my own son when it came to treats at home. If he wanted a treat, I would ask him to choose between an orange and an apple instead of the less healthy snack he wanted. Initially, he'd make a choice between the apple and the orange. But, eventually he caught on, so it only worked for a limited time.

For times when that trick doesn't work, here are some tips from the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation:

  • A little candy on Halloween is OK. Have the child pick out a few pieces and eat them at supervised times. Keep an inventory, and be the keeper of the candy stash.
  • Trade candy for cash.
  • Refocus the celebration. Host a Halloween party and focus on fun, not food.
  • Try alternative treats at home, such as popcorn, sugar-free candy, low-carb candy or something you've made yourself (that way you know what's in it). Offer things like glow-in-the-dark insects and theme stickers for trick-or-treaters.
  • Count carbs with your child, and apply the appropriate insulin-to-carb ratio, which can also be a good learning experience.

What ideas do you have or have you used to help make Halloween healthier but still fun for children?

Have a spooktacular Halloween!

Nancy

blog index

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this feed at blogtrottr.com.

If you no longer wish to receive these emails, you can unsubscribe from this feed, or manage all your subscriptions

沒有留言:

張貼留言