2013年1月31日 星期四

Your 8 hourly digest for Blogs - All topics

Blogs - All topics
Mayo Clinic experts blog about various health topics. // via fulltextrssfeed.com
Restless legs and iron deficiency in children
Jan 30th 2013, 06:00

  • image.alt
  • With Mayo Clinic nutritionists

    Jennifer Nelson, M.S., R.D. and Katherine Zeratsky, R.D.

    read biography
The Mayo Clinic Diet Book, learn more

Free

E-newsletter

Subscribe to Housecall

Our weekly general interest
e-newsletter keeps you up to date on a wide variety of health topics.

Sign up now
  • Nutrition-wise blog

  • Jan. 30, 2013

    Restless legs and iron deficiency in children

    By Jennifer Nelson, M.S., R.D. and Katherine Zeratsky, R.D.

Recipes for Healthy Living

Subscribe to our Recipes for Healthy Living e-newsletter for healthy and tasty recipes.

Sign up now

My children were never what you might call good sleepers as babies. But for one of my sons, the sleep issues continued into his toddler years. However, his midnight visits weren't accompanied by the usual request, "Mommy, can I sleep with you?"

Instead, my son would come to me out of sorts after flopping around in bed like a fish out of water and complain, "Mommy, my body hurts."

So, began the long climb out of iron deficiency.

Iron deficiency is strongly associated with restless leg syndrome in children. And restless leg in children is often underdiagnosed, passed over as growing pains. Another risk factor is family history. Thinking back, yes, there were nights during my pregnancies that I jumped out of bed to ease my restless legs. Iron deficiency can also be a result of celiac and other diseases. Fortunately, that isn't the case for my son.

My toddler started an iron supplement and it helped him sleep. Although doctors and pharmacists alike warned me that I'd struggle to get him to take it, I didn't and still don't.

It's two years later and we are still supplementing. Between growth spurts and the fact that iron is a difficult nutrient to absorb, it's taking time to work up to the iron level that our son's doctor targeted for him.

My son eats meat and some vegetables, not foods that all toddlers like. He's a milk drinker but not excessively so and juice is minimal. Of course, we have the typical toddler feeding issues of eating well one day and not another. And meal planning is a bit more complicated since it involves pairing iron and vitamin C rich foods. But I've got that one covered and I consider us lucky.

To the health of our children,

Katherine

blog index
References
  1. Mayo Clinic finds restless legs syndrome in children linked to family history, iron deficiency. ScienceDaily.com. http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2005/01/050104113419.htm. Accessed Jan. 28, 2013.
  2. Picchietti A, et al. Restless legs syndrome: Prevalence and impact in children and adolescents: The Peds REST study. Pediatrics. 2007;120:253.
  3. Kotagal S, et al. Childhood-onset restless legs syndrome. Annals of Neurology. 2004;56:803.

Yoga, mindfulness and other tools can aid recovery
Jan 30th 2013, 06:00

If the stress in your life is more than you can cope with, get help right away.

  • National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
    1-800-273-TALK (8255)
  • Go to the nearest hospital or emergency room
  • Call your physician, health provider or clergy
  • National Alliance on Mental Illness
    www.nami.org
    1-800-950-NAMI (6264)

Infertility: An invitation to share your story
Jan 29th 2013, 06:00

  • image.alt
  • With Mayo Clinic certified nurse-midwife

    Mary M. Murry, R.N., C.N.M.

    read biography
The Mayo Clinic Diet Book, learn more

Free

E-newsletter

Subscribe to Housecall

Our weekly general interest
e-newsletter keeps you up to date on a wide variety of health topics.

Sign up now
  • Pregnancy and you blog

  • Jan. 29, 2013

    Infertility: An invitation to share your story

    By Mary M. Murry, R.N., C.N.M.

I know that an entry about infertility in a pregnancy blog seems kind of crazy. Still, I want to acknowledge that not everyone can get pregnant or carry a pregnancy — and women who face infertility can find it difficult to talk about the experience and develop a strong support network.

At first, you probably assume that you're fertile. If you're not interested in pregnancy, you might go to great lengths to prevent it. Then, when the time is right, you stop using birth control — but nothing happens. That's when you start to reconsider your fertility.

When my husband and I got married, it was with the intellectual acceptance that we might not have children. You see, a few years earlier, Richard had been diagnosed with Hodgkin's lymphoma. He received chemotherapy and radiation. He was offered sperm banking, but he thought that he was young and didn't need to worry about something like that.

I say that I intellectually accepted the idea of no children because we hadn't even started to talk about babies at the time. When I came home from our honeymoon, though, I was pregnant. My husband walked around like king of the world. We had a beautiful baby girl. When she was 18 months old, I wanted another baby. This time we actively tried for pregnancy — without success. 

I was angry. I was a good mom and a good person. Why couldn't I have another baby?

After some time, I realized that I needed to let it go. I told myself to be grateful for the family we had, and we decided not to pursue infertility testing. I don't know if I would have stuck with that decision for the long haul because eventually I got pregnant again.

Roller coaster that it was, my experience with infertility was barely a taste of what many couples go through every day.

First is the discovery of the infertility. It doesn't matter whether it's the eggs or the sperm. Someone feels that it's their fault. There's guilt and pain. Then the couple begins a journey that's both emotionally and financially painful.

I thought that I experienced terrible baby hunger. I can't imagine the baby starvation experienced by women who have prolonged fertility issues.

If you've faced infertility, please consider sharing your story. I'd love to listen.

blog index

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this feed at blogtrottr.com.

If you no longer wish to receive these emails, you can unsubscribe from this feed, or manage all your subscriptions

沒有留言:

張貼留言